Dr. Phil was Born …:
… on September 1, 1950, in Vinita, Oklahoma, to parents Jo and Jerry. His father was an equipment supplier in the oil industry. The family later moved to so that Jerry could pursue his dream of becoming a psychologist.
Growing up with Dr. Phil:
A student at Shawnee Mission North High School in Overland Park, Kansas, the tall McGraw was a star football player. He even garnered a scholarship to the University of Tulsa. An injury forced a transfer to Midwestern State University back in Texas.
McGraw graduated from Midwestern with his bachelor’s in psychology. He followed that up with a masters in experimental psychology from Midwestern and doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of North Texas.
Dr. Phil McGraw’s Net Worth:
Dr. Phil has an estimated net worth of $450 Million.
Dr. Phil’s First Job:
While completing his residency, McGraw owned a construction business with his brother-in-law. He then worked in private practice and conducted life skills seminars with his father before launching Courtroom Sciences Inc., a trial consulting firm advising Fortune 500 companies.
In 1996, Oprah Winfrey hired his company to prepare her for the Amarillo, Texas, beef trial, in which the talk show host was in court in defense of statements made that proponents of the beef industry considered libelous. She was so impressed with McGraw, that she credited him for the victory.
Not long after, McGraw began appearing on The Oprah Winfrey Show, offering advice and discussing — life strategy.”
Becoming a Talk Show Host:
The success of those appearances led to the creation of Dr. Phil in 2002, produced by Winfrey’s Harpo Productions. Prior to the launch of The Rachael Ray Show, also an Harpo production, Dr. Phil set the ratings record for a new, syndicated talk show.
Key Moment in His Career:
Taking on Oprah’s case – and winning. The queen of all media help nurture Dr. Phil into the successful talk show host he’s become. Since then, Dr. Phil has authored successful self-help books, formed the Dr. Phil Foundation to combat childhood obesity, and introduced members of his family (Robin and Jay) to the wonderful world of television.
What Does the Future Hold?:
More of the same, as Dr. Phil uses his brand to team-up with companies like Match.com, in which Dr. Phil shares relationship advice.
And Just for Fun:
- Avid tennis player, golfer and SCUBA diver.
- Has appeared as himself in Scary Movie 4, Frasier and The Simpsons.
- Is six-feet-four-inches tall.
- Is paid homage on Sesame Street by the character ‘Dr. Feel’.
- Once ranked by a web site as one of the ‘100 Unsexiest Men in the World’
- Now resides in Beverly Hills.
- Came under fire for publicly talking about giving advice to a distraught and hospitalized Britney Spears in 2007.
- Staff was criticized for bailing out Florida teen alleged to have taken part in a brutal videotaped assault on a “friend” so that that teen could appear on the show.